The county town of Northumberland, Alnwick, where we moved some years ago has had it's share of publicity over recent years and I reckon it's a great place to live. Here are just some of the newsworthy items that have come the way of this historic market town.
- Voted the best place in the UK to live by Country Life magazine.
- Bondgate within in Alnwick won the best UK shopping street in the Google Street View awards.
- Chosen to be visited by the Olympic torch on June 14th 2012.
- Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Philip visited Alnwick on 22nd June 2011.
- Not a good thing but identified as one of the most expensive "seaside" places to live in England and Wales.
- The Alnwick Garden is home to one of the largest treehouses in the world.
- Home to Alnwick Castle, the second largest inhabited castle in England, which has been the home of the Percys, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland since 1309. The castle is used as a stand in for the exterior and interior of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films, which has led to an increase in public interest with Alnwick
- Home to The Alnwick Garden, the third most visited paid-for garden in the UK.
- August 2011 Alnwick voted the best market town in the country by Countryfile readers.
All in all a fab place to live :-)