Sunday 2 October 2011

We Are Being Slowly Poisoned

I've been doing quite a bit of reading recently and I've come to the conclusion that we as a race, certainly in the developed world, are being steadily poisoned. We are are for sure much less active than we used to be and we also have a "natural" tendency to eat too much just because it is there but there is something altogether more sinister going on. What I'm referring to is the sheer volume of refined sugar that is being added to foodstuffs and the more I read food labels the more horrified I become at how much sugar is being consumed, often without us knowing it.

Check out this food label:


This was a particularly good example, a jar of Uncle Ben's Sweet & Sour sauce with extra pineapple. Now, this is for sure an ultra low fat food so folks could quite easily think it was "good for them". Examining the label reveals that this 500g jar of sauce contains 18.6g of sugars per 100g, so that's 92.5g of sugar in the jar, so looking at it another way 18.6% of the jar is pure sugar, now that shocked me.

Out of curiosity I weighed out 92.5g of sugar into a regular desert bowl and this is what it looked like:


Now, I don't know what you think but I think to have that much sugar (without really knowing it) incorporated into an evening meal, even for several people, is just ridiculous, and I'm going to do something about it.

I am absolutely certain that many of the problems society faces in terms of obesity are caused not by fat, but by sugar, hidden added sugars in everyday foodstuffs. Lorena does not consider herself to be someone with a particularly sweet tooth but she was utterly flabbergasted when she saw this, she eats more sugar than she thinks she does, as do the vast majority of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment