Saturday 31 December 2011

YouTube Dispute

I uploaded a video the other day and I'd deleted the original sound track and replaced it with some birdsong, the sound effects were provided as part of iMovie 'll. I was pretty surprised and more than a bit put out and concerned when YouTube flagged it as containing material that might contravene copyright rules. Specifically the warning said that the movie appeared to contain "matched 3rd party content" The note that went with it said that the movie would remain available, for now, but would have advertisements attached.

I was given the opportunity to invoke the YouTube dispute process and having done some reading around I extracted the following text from the Apple iMovie '11 licence agreement:

"iMovie contains sample content including but not limited to graphics, audio clips, video clips and/or templates (“Sample Content”). This Sample Content is proprietary to Apple and/or its licensors, and is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright. Except as otherwise provided, all Sample Content included in iMovie may be used on a royalty-free basis in your own video projects but may not be distributed on a standalone basis"

With some trepidation, I really didn't want to get black marked, I decided to invoke the dispute process and I'm delighted to say that the warning has now been removed. I just thought this might be of interest to anyone else who uses iMovie from time to time, YouTube do listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment