Wednesday 22 August 2012

MacSpeech Scribe and the Sony ICD-SX712D


Well today has seen quite an interesting development, as readers of this weblog will know I've been experimenting for some little while with digital transcription and I've been using Dragon Dictate pretty successfully. Anyway I've been thinking for a little while that it would be interesting to take this a step further and I wanted to start trying to use a program called MacSpeech Scribe, the difference with Mac Speech Scribe is that you use a portable voice recorder to record voice files and then the software, MacSpeech Scribe reads the voice file that you generate and produces text from it. Yes, I know you can do this sort of thing with the iPhone but that's another story!

The big benefit of this is that you can carry a small pocket voice recorder with you, I selected the Sony ICD SX712D and then dictate notes for anything you like anywhere you like and then bring that home and it's immediately transcribed for you.

So, I took delivery of the recording unit this morning then just spent an hour or so doing a little bit of voice training, it hasn't taken me very long at all, this weblog posting is the first piece of text that I've actually published that has been generated in this way. I have to confess that when I first started it was quite inaccurate and I thought that the experiment wasn't going to work out very well but very quickly the transcription has become really very accurate and I'm sure that's only going to improve with time.

So, my first impression of this system is that is going to work extremely well and I think will prove to be a brilliant way of writing a travel journal up, I'll just put the pocket recorder in my pocket and dictate notes as I go then this should make it extremely easy to edit things up when I get home.

Anyway, I won't ramble on for too long as it is very tempting to keep experimenting with this but I'll get this posted and in due course when I've use the system a bit more I'll post another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment