Tuesday 19 August 2008

Tuesday Training

Computrainer
This session did not go well and I bailed out midway through the 3rd effort, just unable to turn the cranks, breathing Ok but legs gone. Probably still not fully rested after the weekend and yesterday's day off the turbo was also replaced by a morning walk and then on top of that an hour in the pool with Lorena, Rebecca, and Francesca. Hydration and nutrition also probably a bit below ideal so never mind, such is life, just learn from it and move on.

I'm finding these L5 efforts very challenging and it's still early days with them and I'm wondering if in trying to do them at 115% of FTP I'm setting the bar a bit high. As the VO2 max range is given as 106-120% of FTP I wonder if I should drop the target wattage by 10W which would still have me working at 112% of FTP and in the middle of the suggested L5 range. I reckon if I do this I'll have a better chance of consistently completing the sessions, dread them less, and therefore spend a greater total training time in L5 which is the objective. I might also be able to increase the length or number of the efforts sooner and get a greater overall training benefit.

Yes, that's what I'll do, drop these down to about 330W and see how I go for a couple of sessions, then think again.

[Uploaded 19/08/2008 10:56:46]

2 comments:

  1. definitely agree with dropping the target wattage. you will complete the workout and can always increase it for the next one.

    your numbers are very impressive - you need to remind yourself of that every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark

    Thanks for your kind words, I admire your perseverance wading through my ramblings!

    I guess most cyclists are never really happy with their performances and power output and that's what keeps us struggling on trying to improve even when we seem to be fighting a losing battle!

    I don't think I'm alone in always hoping to find that mystery magic bullet, without resorting to anything stronger than porridge!

    Hope all is well with you, on the CompuTrainer much?

    Cheers,

    Q

    ReplyDelete