Tuesday 21 July 2009

Tuesday Training

Hi

VeloTron

Today's session was the next in my series of revised L4 training which I'm calling a critical time session. The session is really straightforward and really unpleasant, it involves just riding continuously at a wattage which is at or slightly above threshold wattage and stopping when it really starts to get too much or when my HR enters and remains in VO2 max territory. I reckon this is harder to do indoors so the wattage is a touch lower than might be achieved outdoors. I think the main reason for this is the huge heat buildup when working really hard without any recovery periods indoors in spite of a fan etc.

Legs were somewhat fatigued before I started this session but I rode for 31 minutes @ 315W which I was very happy with. The plan is when I do this session (once per week) I'll always at least try to improve on my previous time at that wattage. The hope is that I'll slowly be able to go for longer and I can then increase the load a bit and start the process again. I reckon if after say 6 weeks of this I'm still riding for the same duration I must be at about my physiological FTP limit.

I'm hoping that I might be able to reach an FTP of about 325W by next Spring which if I weighed 77kg would see me @ 4.22W/kg @ threshold. This would be a huge improvement since Spring 2009, time will tell, but I'm going to give it a go.

[Uploaded 21/07/2009 21:18:36]

No comments:

Post a Comment